Friday, May 9, 2008

Sunshine after the Storm

Thank you for your prayers. The evening was wonderful!

After naps, we decided to go for a walk to the nearby park with the other family adopting with us here in Fuzhou, Jim and Shelly Peters (and daughter Caity). Sara carried Callie much of the time, and during that time, Callie started calling things out in Chinese. Sara knew the word for "tree," and asked Callie about it, and there was a language connection! Further, Callie now recognizes me as "Daddy," and I understand her word for "hat." She also almost said "gentle" in response to a game Sara plays with her.

When we got back to the hotel room, there was crying because we were back in our room, but then Sara got out some books and started reading to her, and Callie got down off her lap--she's clung to us the last day and a half--and started drawing with Anna, and then kicking the ball, and then playing with the other toys. Then she started laughing and smiling, and we had a wonderful play time for over an hour. That smile of hers, and her husky little voice, and the squeal of laughter--it melts our hearts. God is so good.

I love Callie's eyes. I fell in love with Anna's eyes because they were so big. And I love Callie's eyes because they're so hidden. When she laughs or cries, we wonder if she can actually see anything. She has such a beautiful face, and her expressions powerfully move our hearts, either with pathos or delight.

This morning we went to the Fuzhou orphanage which oversaw Callie and Caity's care and their placement in foster care. We purchased a cake, and about 20 kids with mild special needs (ages 7-14?) came and greeted us, shared the cake with us, and sang with us. Beautiful kids; great enthusiasm; well-mannered; and not likely to be adopted because of their age. Then we went upstairs and toured the nursery of babies with special needs. Some sleeping, some staring, some smiling. One little girl stood up and waved to us with a big smile on her face.

One women in the nursery said that Anna looked like Sara, which brought a laugh to everyone, because we all know she looks like me!

Lunch at a very large McDonald's today. It's kind of funny how Chinese food reminds me of home.

Today is our daughter Caty's 11th birthday. It's hard to be away from her on this special day. But she has been very understanding. Ironically, my parents are taking her to eat Chinese food for her birthday.

Saw more dogs today, none of them very cute.

5 comments:

Jacque said...

I am so glad to hear things went well yesterday! John and I have been praying non-stop. I can't wait to meet your new little blessing and to hear her voice for myself. I'm also excited for Leah to meet her. I am praying for continued blessings on your trip. We are eagerly awaiting your arrival back home and with all this talk about dogs we just might have to find a little puppy for you to remind you of the ones you've been seeing in China!

With much love and prayer,
Jacque

Scotty said...

Hey Kids!!!!!!!!!! Hope you are having a good time away from me. I have SOOOOOOOO MUCH harassment built up waiting to unload on you Kent. I haven't read your blogs yet because I just found it and I have to go to softball. I will later though. We are praying for you guys and hope to see you and your new addition known as Callie very soon. P.S. Don't bore her already with a sundayschool lesson.

www.cdmconnections.blogspot.com said...

I bet it was hard to leave the children at the orphanage. I can't imagine leaving knowing they will probably not get adopted. You should bring more kids home. We have been praying for all of you. Looking forward to seeing all you!
Cheryl

D S'more said...

I'm so excited to hear that Callie is starting to adjust and bond with you guys! She is so adorable; i can't wait to meet her! She is very blessed to become part of your family and we'll keep praying for you all! Happy birthday Caty!

Julie said...

Hey Scantlins,
Glad to hear that everything is going so well. I am looking forward to meeting this little bundle of joy that God has brought into your lives. I have been praying that Callie will adjust and it sounds like she is starting to. I will continue to pray for your trip and your return home that things will go well.

Love and Prayers,
Julie